If you have been working online for a while, you are familiar with the expression “The money is in your list”. So what is that list? In most cases it is a database of collected email addresses and names. And that database is handled by your autoresponder. So the autoresponder is really important for your online business and you should be careful when selecting your own.
The autoresponder must have to functions for:
– Storing information about your opt-in contacts (those who found your landing page or email sign-up ad interesting and wanted to receive more information)
– Send pre-written emails and articles at a given time to your list.
– Send a predefined reply to an email depending on the subject
– Sending direct broadcasts and updates to the whole list or filtered parts of it.
– Automated functions for opt-in and opt-out.
I addition to these functions, many autoresponders offers additional features like landing page design tools, landing page hosting and other useful functions. Compare the different systems related to what your needs are. Personally I like Aweber, a system that has got a really good reputation, but as with all advanced tools, there is a learning curve to climb. Make sure that your autoresponder has a quick support crew and good educational features.
There are free autoresponders as well, but make sure they have got all the functions you need before you start to build your list. And think about backup possibilities in case you suddenly find your free autoresponder gone.
There are a lot of spammers using email in their business. Don’t become one of them, make sure that your autoresponder has a functional and clear “opt-out” message for those who prefer to stop receiving your information. And talking about spam; NEVER enter someone’s email in your autoresponder that hasn’t agreed to receive information from you. That will just upset people and is not good for your business.